There are quite a few reasons to set up a Virtual Private Network on your iPhone. When you choose to set up this type of network on your phone, you will be gaining a great deal of privacy and security. There is a need for this if you ever plan to connect to any public Wifi. The public Internet services that are available in numerous different places, like airports, shopping centers, restaurants, hotels and coffee shops are almost never secure. The only way that these places can make the Internet available to the public is to leave it unsecure and open. While this is good in that you will easily be able to make use of Wifi whenever you want, it is bad in that your phone could easily be hacked.
If someone wanted to, they could hack your phone, and that would give them access to almost anything, including email passwords, email addresses, social networking accounts, images and even credit card numbers if you have them stored. If you have a VPN, you will be using an encrypted network even when you are using the public Internet. Setting up a connection on your iPhone is not that hard at all. Here is a step by step guide to doing this.
- Choose a VPN service provider. You will need to set up an account with them.
- Locate the settings icon on your iPhone and tap on it
- Locate the setting called “General” and tap on that
- Locate “Network” and tap that
- Locate “VPN” and tap on that
- You should see several options, but you will want to choose one called “Add VPN Configuration.” Tap on this.
- You will be able to choose PPTP or L2TP. Choose PPTP.
- Your service provider gave you account information when you created an account with them. You should see space on your iPhone to include that account information here.
- In the “Description” space, you can name it whatever you would like, but this will just be the name of your connection.
- In the “Server Name” spot, be sure to include the one given to you by the service provider.
- Fill in the account name and password that you set up with the service provider.
- Where you can choose RSA Secure ID, set this to “off.”
- Where you can set encryption level, choose “auto”
- Where you can choose “Send all traffic,” choose to set it to “on”
- Choose to save your configurations. Then, you can close out settings and go to your iPhone home screen.
- Again, choose the “settings” icon and tap on it.
- Underneath Wifi, you should now see a VPN tab.
- When you wish to use your VPN (anytime you are using a public network) simply turn the VPN tab to on.
Setting up VPN on your iPhone is as simple as this and you will be completely secure anytime you need to use a public Wifi connection.
- How to Setup DD-WRT VPN – 3 Jun
- How to Setup Blackberry VPN – 20 May
- How to Setup IOS VPN – 13 May
- How to Setup Mac VPN – 29 Apr
- How to Setup Linux VPN – 22 Apr
- How to Setup Nokia VPN – 8 Apr
- How to Setup Windows VPN – 1 Apr
- How to Setup Boxee VPN – 26 Mar
- How to Setup Xbox VPN – 12 Feb
- How to Setup PS3 VPN – 11 Feb
Add a comment
03 April 2013 | 0 Comments
The great people at IPVanish accepted to answer a few questions about their comp30 March 2013 | 0 Comments
Kazakhstan and Russia both have regimes in place that seek to control the Intern22 March 2013 | 3 Comments
Wouldn’t it be great if you could surf online without ever giving a thought to