We all know that there are several countries in the world that are known for their governmental control over various forms of media available to the citizens there. Iran is one of the most notorious. In fact, many reporters have referred to Iran as one of the biggest “enemies to the Internet.” That means if you choose to live in or visit Iran, then you will have to deal with some serious censorship that could block you from vital information that you may need for your business or education.
The Level of Censorship
Here in the United States, it may be hard for us to understand just how censored the Internet is in certain other countries. There are many ways that the Iranian government has taken control over what their citizens can see and what they cannot. Here are a few details of the level of censorship on the Internet in this country.
- 30 major website blocks are permanently in place
- Facebook is blocked from time to time
- The bandwidth limit allowed to each user is extremely low. This is to keep users from downloading media like music and movies.
- Public Internet services have bandwidth speeds of only 128 kpbs to avoid downloads
How the Censorship Happens
In order for the government to be able to censor the Internet to the some 20 million Iranian users, there is a sophisticated system in place. Instead of having various ISPs available to people in the country, all Internet traffic is sent to one place. It is called the National Control System. This way, the government can track everything that any user does and the Internet can be censored on a country wide level or it can be censored for various users.
How VPN Can Help
Thankfully, you do not have to find yourself so restricted when you need to use the Internet. The best way to make full use of the Internet would be to use an Iran VPN. These virtual private networks make it completely easy for you to access the Internet through unrestricted means. Your computer IP address will be sent through the VPN and it will not be tracked by the Iranian government. There are different VPN options you could use, but not all of them are as stable. Some of the best options you could use would be companies like Hidemyass, VyprVPN, IAPS, Express VPN and Strong VPN.
The Iranian government will be likely locking down more and more sites over the coming years. By using VPN, you can access the sites that you need.
- One-on-One with IPVanish Team – 3 Apr
- Censorship in Kazakhstan and Russia in 2012 – 30 Mar
- Win One of 3 Free Premium VPN Accounts from IPVanish – 22 Mar
- Interview with CactusVPN Team – 19 Mar
- Get VPN Protection for Free: 10 Free VPN Accounts from CactusVPN – 9 Mar
- Free VPN: Can It Be Trusted? – 5 Mar
- VPN on Android: The Need and Some Perspective – 28 Feb
- Interview with Private Internet Access – 25 Feb
- ibVPN Announces 5 Free Premium VPN Accounts Up for Grabs – 19 Feb
- Internet Censorship in 2012 – 15 Feb
Add a comment
03 April 2013 | 0 Comments
The great people at IPVanish accepted to answer a few questions about their comp30 March 2013 | 0 Comments
Kazakhstan and Russia both have regimes in place that seek to control the Intern22 March 2013 | 3 Comments
Wouldn’t it be great if you could surf online without ever giving a thought to